Friday, May 3, 2019

Learning Challenge: Sleep

In the video found HERE, I learned just how essential sleep is for physical and mental health. Sleep is the bodies natural mechanism to restore its energy and clear waste material from the brain. Most adults require 7-8 hours of sleep per night and most adolescents need 10. Being deprived of sleep can lead to hormonal imbalance, sickness, and even death. Someone who is severely sleep deprived may lose coordination, memory functions, and might even hallucinate; symptoms of chemical waste building up in the brain. I hate to admit it, but I deprive myself from a lot of sleep and I'm am more than aware of these symptoms. I have been so tired before that I fell asleep standing up. This video is just another reminder that I need to take better care of myself. It's simple really to just go to sleep on a regular basis, and the health benefits are well worth it.

Effects of Sleep Deprivation. Source: Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment